WE ARE COMMITTED TO EDUCATIONAL EXCELLENCE
Located in Irwin Pennsylvania, West Hempfield Elementary School was renovated in 2002. Our school is comprised of outstanding classes, rewarding activities, self-motivated teachers, and dedicated volunteer parents. Committed to Educational Excellence, West Hempfield Elementary serves approximately 560 students in grades Kindergarten through fifth.
BUILDING A FOUNDATION FOR THE FUTURE
- Average class size in grades K – 3 is 21, and grades 4 – 5 is 21
- Curriculum provides for 40-minute lessons in art, library, music, technology, and physical education for all students.
- Two learning support classes - students are included in age appropriate homerooms
- One emotional support class - students are included in age appropriate homerooms
- Title I Reading
- School Counselor
- Intervention Coordinator
- Hempfield Enrichment Program (HEP)
- Speech Therapy
- Response to Intervention (RtI) services for reading, math, and behavior
- Instrumental Music Lessons (for grades fourth and fifth grade)
- Full-time health room coverage provided
- Breakfast and lunch programs
- The library offers 35 computers with access to the internet.
- Technology lab with 30 computers
FULFILLING OUR MISSION
Our mission at West Hempfield Elementary School is to educate every child to be an academically successful student, a socially responsible citizen, and a life-long learner. By teaching the necessary knowledge and skills, and the appreciation of socio-economic and cultural diversity within a school that fosters mutual respect, creativity, and the joy of learning we are "Committed to Educational Excellence." In addition, the effective, caring, innovative staff in partnership with home and community provide our students with a safe, secure and supportive environment necessary to help meet the needs of all our students.
- Project Peace in a Bully-Free School
All schools, regardless of socioeconomic status, diversity and location, have been forced by the recent outbreaks of school violence to confront the issue of conflict and bullying in our society and help their students cope with the aftermath. West Hempfield elementary has taken the necessary steps needed to find ways to deter school conflict and violence and bring about peace and a bully-free environment in the hearts and minds of our students.
Project Peace In A Bully-Free School works to reduce conflict and violence at West Hempfield Elementary School by teaching students how to discuss and mediate disagreements peacefully. It empowers students, who are still in their formative years, with the important life-skills that promote constructive communication, problem solving, critical-thinking and self-esteem. Through regular classroom meetings, students become active participants in governing behavior in their classrooms. Others take on the role of mediator and are trained in using the mediation process. With the help of neutral peer mediators, conflicts can be settled in a positive manner, benefiting the school climate as a whole. Adults handle all bullying behavior as soon as it is discovered or reported.
- Additional Programs
The YMCA offers morning childcare from 7:00 – 8:30 AM and afternoon childcare from 3:30 – 6:00 PM in the West Hempfield Elementary building. Please call the YMCA at 724-834-0150 for more information.
- Hempfield Parks and Recreation
Hempfield Parks and Recreation offer a wide range of evening activities for students. For more information, please call 724-836-7900.
West Hempfield Elementary School - From PA Turnpike, take Irwin Exit onto Rte. 30 east. At the first red light, turn right onto Arona Road. On Arona road at the 1st stop sign, turn right onto Wendel Road. About 1/2 mile, the school is on the left.